Allen Sports has been in business for quite a long time. It has produced a series of bikes that have been welcomed warmly by bike enthusiasts. Currently, the firm seems to be expanding its operations to a greater height. It is better known for coming up with high-quality bikes that are rear mounted. Today, we will review one of their high-end bikes, Allen Sports Downtown.
The bike has a lot of features that you will like. The review will highlight all the necessary details of the bike to guide you if at all you are on the quest of finding one for commuting, fun and adventure.
- Firstly, the bike is undoubtedly straightforward. It has a lovable tab that plays the role of securing the wheels. Additionally, it is one of the bikes with the easiest and the fastest locking mechanisms on a folding bike. It can be quickly unfolded within the shortest time possible, usually 10 seconds. Besides, it can be quickly folded, often 15 seconds or less.
- When it comes to its riding experience, the bike is a 1-speed. By that, it functions great in flat roads. The bike does not need regular maintenance as well as repairs. If you are a city dweller, then the 1-speed is more than adequate.
- Besides, the bike provides not only a simple ride but also a smooth one. Interestingly, it is always ready to make use of it out of the box. You can remove it from of the box without the need of employing the services of a bike shop for a professional set up.
- Additionally, Allen Sports Downtown can easily fit inside your car trunk. However, its shopping box is quite large that it may not fit. But that is not the case. Just remove it from the box and you will be good to go.
- Also, the bike has a sturdy frame. Interestingly, it remains sturdy for quite a long time. It has a locking system that never gets loose at all.
- When it comes to its purchasing price, Allen Sports Downtown tends to be the cheapest bike in the series. Again, it has the lowest specs to cut off the cost. Therefore, acquiring it may not be very hard for every average citizen who loves the adventure of riding bikes.
- The bike is quite bulky, and you may require a strap for fixing the wheels as well as the handlebar post. It is the heaviest bike so carrying around can be problematic.
- Additionally, the bike does not use the 451MM wheels that offer a comfortable ride. By that, it is undesirable as far as comfort is concerned.
Features and Specs
- Colors: Grey, Green, Blue
- Speed: 1
- Weight: 26 lbs (11.8 kgs)
- Folded Dimensions: 15.4 x 33.5 x 28 inches (39cm x 85cm x 71cm)
- Tires: 20″ x 1.5″
- Valve on tire: Shraeder
- Wheel Size: 20″
- Frame: 6061 Aluminum
- Forks: Lightweight Steel
- Handlebar: Steel
- Handlebar Post: Alloy one piece
- Saddle: DDK 3166
- Rims: P-6N Alloy
- Crank Set: Samox
- Front Brake: WinZip
- Rear Brake: WinZip
- Seat post: Hi-ten Steel
- Pedals: non-folding
- Maximum rider weight: 242 lbs.
- Suggested rider height: 4’9″ (145cm) to 6’6″ (198cm)
- Shipping weight: 34 lbs.
- Box dimensions: 34 x 25.5 x 15.5 inches
Overall, the Allen Sports Downtown is an awesome 1-speed folding bike. It is highly recommendable to purchase should you find it on sale. However, the price is quite high when not on sale. All in all, Downtown is a good product. It is not only suitable for bike enthusiasts but also commuters, town dwellers and students. It is worth your worth your cash and time.
Regular Price: $449