Allen Sports is relatively new in the world of bicycles. But, the family owned business has taken the world of bikes with a storm. They are on a mission to use high end technology for their bikes and to provide the avid bike lovers the very best. Another benchmark in the world of easy-to-use, high performance, folding bikes is the Allen Sports XWay Aluminum 20 speed folding bike.
When compared to other competitive folding bikes, Allen XWay bike can boast of its light weight. The bike weighs only about 24 lb. The high end components and the 6061 aluminum frame work provide it the stability and speed, even with the light weight. The bike does not disappoint even while riding longer distances. The 20 speed component provides the bike an excellent gear range, which helps the rider to customize the ride according to the terrain he is riding on. The shifting of gears is also very smooth and hassle free.
The bike can be folded and unfolded easily and within seconds. The handle bar and the handle bar height can be easily adjusted.
The frame release system allows for quick folding and unfolding of the bike, and the wheel lock mechanism secures the bike when it is folded.
An important factor that distinguishes XWay from other successful folding bikes is the use of 451mm wheels, as compared to the standard 406mm. The wheels are bigger in size, while the tires are thinner and have lower resistance. The usage of high end components and the Tektro brake system make the bike agile and responsive, thus helping the rider get a stable and secure ride.
The only flaw with this high performing bike is that it can be a little unstable when folded. This is majorly due to the heavy handle post that is folded out. The handle post cannot be used to carry the bike when it is folded, which can be a bit of an issue.
- It is a perfect urban bike, with the limited storage space it requires.
- The short wheel base and the adjustable seat allow different age groups to use the same bike.
- The bike is very well engineered.
- The use of beautifully designed hinges in the hinged design provides rigidity to the bike.
- When the bike is folded, the hinges lock.
- They can be easily unlocked with a simple push button.
- The Allen XWay proves its competence even on hilly terrains.
- The bike performs excellently even on the hills.It has a strong build and an amazing design.
- The bike can be a little unstable while in the folded position.
- Some customers, especially the ones who are not avid cyclists might find the price to be on the higher end.
Features and Specs
- Colors: Black Stone
- Folded size: 33.5 inch x 13.8 inch x 27.6 inch
- Weight: 24.6 lbs (11.1 kgs)
- Frame: 6061 Aluminum
- Forks: 6061 Aluminum
- Speeds: 20
- Wheel Size: 451mm
- Tires: 20″ x 1-3/8″
- Valve on tires: Presta
- Front Derailleur: Shimano
- Back Derailleur: Sram X9 10 Speed
- Rims: Shinning Alloy
- Crank Set: Lasco
- Shifters: Sram X9 Trigger
- Front Brake: Tektro
- Rear Brake: Tektro
- Pedals: Folding
- Kickstand: built-in
- Brake levers: Tektro
- Handlebar Post: Alloy adjustable
- Handlebar: Aluminum
- Saddle: DDK 3166
- Seat post: Aluminum
- Fenders are not included
- Recommended Rider Height range: 4’11” to 6’7
- Max Rider Weight: 242 lbs
Allen Sports XWay aluminum folding bike is an excellent high end folding bike that can give the joy of an easy, responsive and secure ride to an urban commuter. The bike has a lot to offer, and will deliver equally well on daily city commutes as on weekend hill trips. The high price will make sense, if the features of the bike are studied and understood in detail.
Regular Price: $1,699